The NFLA Library may be found in Sondreson Community Hall and contains books and other information that have been donated to the NFLA on a number of subjects including trails, birds, insects, fish and much, much more. There is also an area dedicated to Montana authors and featuring books by local North Fork authors.
The books are housed in a beautiful handcrafted bookshelf donated in 2015 by NFLA member Kevin O’Bryan.
So how does this work? Debo Powers has volunteered to set up the library, organize new donations, develop a check-out system, keep it organized, and contact people who may have forgotten to return a borrowed book.
If you would like to donate any nature books that are specifically about the North Fork or the Northern Rockies, please contact Debo. And all you North Fork authors out there are also encouraged to donate a copy of your book as well.
If you have questions or suggestions for Debo, please contact her via her email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Following is a partial list of the books and CDs that are available for checkout.
Amphibians & Reptiles
- Amphibians and Reptiles of Montana by Werner, Maxell, Hendricks, & Flath
- Birding Montana by Terry McEneaney
- Birds of the Rocky Mountains by Paul A. Johnsgard
- Field Guide to Birds of North America by National Geographic
- Owl Sounds by Division of Wildlife (CD)
- Peterson Guide to Western Bird Songs by Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology (CD)
- Small Mountain Owls by Scott Rashid
- Stokes Field Guide to Birds (Western Region) by Donald & Lillian Stokes
- A Pocket Guide to Butterflies & Moths by Elizabeth Balmer
- Butterflies Through British Columbia by John Acorn & Ian Sheldon
- Butterflies through Binoculars (The West) by Jeffrey Glassberg
- Dragonflies and Damselflies of the West by Dennis Paulson
- Field Guide to Insects of North America by Eric R. Eaton & Kenn Kaufman
- Lepidoptera of the Pacific Northwest: Caterpillars and Adults by Jeffrey C. Miller & Paul C. Hammond
- Peterson Guide to Western Butterfies by J.W Tilden & Arthur C. Smith
- The Moth Book by W. J. Holland
- Peterson Guide to Freshwater Fishes by Lawrence M. Page & Brooks M. Burr
- Guide to Animal Tracking and Behavior by Donald & Lillian Stokes
- Scats and Tracks of the Rocky Mountains by James C. Halfpenny
- Edible Native Plants of the Rocky Mountains by H.D. Harrington
- Golden Nature Guide to Trees by Herbert S. Zim & Alexander C. Martin
- Guide to Western Mushrooms by J.E. Underhill
- Medicinal Plants of the Mountain West by Michael Moore
- Northern Rocky Mountain Wildflowers by H. Wayne Phillips
- Peterson Guide to Rocky Mountain Wildflowers by Craighead, Craighead, & Davis
- Peterson Guide to Western Trees by George & Olivia Petrides
- Plants of Waterton-Glacier National Parks by Richard J. Shaw & Danny On
- Rocky Mountain Flora by William A. Webber
- Weeds of the West by Whitson, Burrill, Dewey, Cudley, Nelson, Lee, & Parker
- Montana Starwatch by Mike Lynch
- A Beast the Color of Winter by Douglas Chadwick
- Stars Over Montana: The Men who shaped Glacier National Park by Warren L. Hanna
- Switchback: Bill Yenne’s 50 Years in the Mountains of Montana and the West by W.J. Yenne
- The Old North Trail: Life, Legends and Religion of the Blackfeet Indians by Walter McClintock
- The Wild Marsh: Four Seasons at Home in Montana by Rick Bass
- The Book of Yaak by Rick Bass
- Winter by Rick Bass
Latest News from the Trails Committee
Click here for all the latest news from the NFLA Library.